Engaging Adult Learners Through Principles of Andragogy
Adult learners can transform how you teach! What do you know about adult learning theory? What is Andragogy? Are you familiar with Malcolm Knowles’ 4 Principles of Andragogy? This workshop will:
- define andragogy;
- introduce the 4 principles; and
- explore how Knowles’ 5 adult learning theory assumptions can be translated to today’s learning experiences for learner engagement and motivation.
Participants will identify how the adult learners’ cognitive and social characteristics impact the creation of course content and structure. Strategies for instructional design will be discussed for immediate application.
Facilitator: Lynn Shaw - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Adult Learning in Higher Education (Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence, Penn State University)
- Adult Learning Theory: Applications to Non-Traditional College Students (Kenner & Weinerman)
- Andragogy for Adult Learners in Higher Education (Thompson and Deis)
- Resources on Adult Learning (resources are available in the UIndy library)