Upgrading Your Mac to Catalina Operating System
If you have a University-issued Mac computer, we do not recommend upgrading to the latest operating system, Catalina, due to its incompatibility with the following software:
In addition, if you use software outside of Adobe Creative Cloud or Microsoft Office Suite, you will need to check with the vendor to ensure that the software is compatible with Catalina.
If you choose to upgrade to Catalina, there are precautions you must take BEFORE upgrading:
- Back up your hard drive (all files, documents, etc.).
- Severe or catastrophic data loss could occur following an operating system upgrade. If this happens and you do not have a backup of your files/data, we can attempt a recovery. This will take several days and may or may not be successful.
- Backing up data or transferring it to Google Drive is the only way to ensure that data will not be lost in the process.
- Allow plenty of time for the upgrade to complete; you will not be able to use your computer while the upgrade is in process which could take several hours.
WiPs is not compatible with Catalina; MirrorOp is. See Present from MirrorOp on laptops for specifics.
If you've never launched MirrorOp before, after the Catalina upgrade you will see this message appear. Click on Open System Preferences and skip to Step 2 (listed below).
If you have previously launched MirrorOp when connecting to a flat panel or projector for the first time after the Catalina upgrade, you may encounter a black screen. To fix this, please take the following steps:
- Open your System Preferences.
- Click Security and Privacy and then Privacy.
- Under Enable Location Services and to the right of System Services, click Details
- On the menu to the left, scroll down to select Screen Recording.
- Click the padlock icon for an Administrator login (if prompted, use your UIndy username and password).
- Check the box next to MirrorOp.
- A warning message will appear. Click Quit Now.
- Launch MirrorOp again to begin wireless presentation.
In looking at your applications folder, if you only see Google Drive, you will need to be updated to Google Drive File Stream. To make this request, please submit an IT Help Desk Ticket. If you already see Google Drive File Stream, no action is required.