UIndy VPN Guidelines
The purpose of these guidelines is to provide a framework for accessing the Virtual Private Network (VPN) connections to the UIndy network. This applies to all UIndy faculty, staff, students, and those employees that require outside access to specific UIndy network resources. Vendors needing special outside access via the VPN are also included in these guidelines.
Access is subject to an approval process outlined below. Accounts and devices connected to the VPN must abide by all Information Technology (IT) policies outlined by the university. This includes, but is not limited to the System and Network Usage Policy.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that your username and passwords are kept safe. This means not sharing your password with anyone and ensuring your credentials stay confidential. You must take all necessary precautions to secure your credentials.
- VPN access is controlled using UIndy User ID and password authentication and may also be subject to a secondary authentication, called Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA).
- All traffic will be monitored and logged by UIndy.
- The VPN client is limited to an absolute connection time of 24 hours.
- Using the VPN on non-UIndy-owned equipment means you must configure your equipment to comply with UIndy’s VPN and Network policies.
- Only the University approved VPN client may be used to access the VPN. See below for download instructions.
- By using VPN technology on personal equipment, you must understand that your computers are a de facto extension of UIndy’s network and such are subject to the same rules and regulations that apply to UIndy-owned equipment (e.g. Their computers should always be current on Operating System Security updates).
Request VPN access
All VPN access is subject to an approval process. This access can be requested by submitting an IT Help Desk Ticket. You will receive a response through the ticket when access is authorized and activated. A sponsored faculty or staff member must request access for any vendor requiring VPN access. All VPN access will be reviewed annually. If you have not logged into the VPN in the past six months your access will be terminated.
Enforcement of VPN
Anyone found in violation of these guidelines or if any suspicious activity is detected, VPN services will be terminated immediately. Services will be restored if suspicious activity is found to be benign.